Wrockwardine Wood Infant School and Oakengates Nursery Federation

Induction and Transition

What happens when my child is ready to start school?

First as a parent you need to apply for a school place through Telford and Wrekin school admissions

Applying for a school place

Please let us know once you have been allocated a school place so we can support you and your child through the transition process. Click here for the Federation's Induction & Transition Policy.

Moving into Reception

Once we know that your child has been allocated a place in Reception. The children entering Reception from the community will receive a home visit or virtual call in the term before they enter school. All new Reception children will then be invited to a stay and play session in school to meet the Reception staff. If your child has Special Educational Needs we will also arrange meetings with the Special Needs Coordinator from the school to ensure the correct provision is put into place.  

During  the summer break the children will receive further communication from the teachers to keep in touch before their first day at school in September.

In September the children's first week will be an induction week settling into their new school and further communication to parents will let them know timings.   

In Reception your child will be working towards the outcomes for the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. 

For more information on you child's Reception class please click on the link below. 

Chick's 1 Transition Book

Chick's 2 Transition Book

For more information on getting your child Reception ready please click on the links below.

Am I ready for school?  Tips for parents 

Road to School

NHS: Is your child ready to start school?

Moving into Key Stage 1

When your child has completed their Reception year they will then move to Year 1 and then the following year to Year 2. In this new Key Stage your child will be working towards the End of Key Stage 1 outcomes as part of the National Curriculum.

Moving to Key Stage 2

When your child transfers to Year 2 you must apply for a place in KS2 which may be at our feeder Junior school Wrockwardine Wood C of E Junior School or a local primary school. You will need to use the link above to apply for a place as children are not automatically allocated a place.