Infection Control and Pupil Absence
Schools and nurseries are common sites for transmission of infections.
Children are particularly susceptible because:
- they have immature immune systems
- they have close contact with other children
- sometimes they have no or incomplete vaccinations
- their understanding of safe hygiene practices is not secure
Our school and nursery settings follow guidance from the Health Protection Agency when managing a range of important childhood infections.
We also seek advice from Telford & Wrekin Health and Safety if required.
The way we try to prevent and manage infection in our settings is to:
- promote immunisation
- promptly exclude the unwell child or member of staff
- check that effective handwashing is being carried out routinely
- during a Pandemic or local outbreak follow the guidance issued by the Department for Education
If we are notified of a case of an infectious disease such as Coronavirus in a pupil or staff member we report it to the local health protection hub as soon as possible. Our local team are able to give us additional advice and support as needed.